MACS Therapeutic Community (home) for 3 children aged between 6-14 is situated in a rural setting approx. 15mins car journey from Belfast. The children referred will have complex needs and at times extreme behaviours. These needs cannot be met in mainstream children’s homes or foster care.
In order to work in this team, you need to:
- understand and can work with the risk behaviours presented by Looked After Children
- be resilient and capable of responding to children in prolonged periods of distress
- be able to organize and complete your own work
- be perceptive both towards your fellow team players and the children and be able to give / receive feedback in a timely, sensitive and constructive way
- be able and willing to work with a range animals
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Professional Qualification in any of the following areas: Social Work, Youth and Community Work, Teaching, Nursing.
- 1 years’ experience of working with children / young people who have experienced significant trauma and a compassionate understanding of the associated behaviours.
- 3 years’ experience of working with children / young people who have experienced significant trauma and a compassionate understanding of the associated behaviours.
- Ability to work on your own initiative and make decisions in a responsible and accountable manner.
- Ability to have frank and open conversations with your team members
- Ability to think on your feet in a fast paced and changing environment
- Ability to cope with a high level of taking behaviour (see job description for the types of behaviour) and possess the capacity to maintain high levels of resilience when working with presenting risk issues.
- Ability to take on the physical and emotional aspects of the ‘parental role’ with children who are exhibiting demanding behaviors whilst completing all of the tasks associated with running a family home.
- A full current driving licence and access to a car is required so as to be able to meet the requirements of the post in full.
- 3 years’ experience of working with children and young people in a residential setting (children’s home, leaving and aftercare, Hospitals, residential centres, respite centres).
Why work for MACS?
- At MACS we value staff work-life balance. We offer many flexible working options, family-friendly work arrangements.
- We offer competitive salaries and higher than average pension contributions.
- We are Employers for Childcare Family Friendly winners 2015, 2016 and 2017 and have also attained Investors in People Health and Wellbeing and Gold Awards as well as Irish News Workplace Wellbeing Award winners 2017!
These are just some of the many benefits of working for MACS. Find out more reasons to join the team.
MACS Supporting Children & Young People is an Equal Opportunities Employer