In Uni Street, Roseanne and Kieran cooked up a storm with our budding chefs Sebastian and Tony. Delicious Chicken Chow Mein, try it yourself!
Chicken Chow Mein
Wok your magic and combine soft noodles with chicken and vegetables to create this ever-popular Chinese dish. A guaranteed crowd-pleaser, this meaty main will give your local takeaway a run for its money! Use turkey instead if you fancy a change.
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 level tbsp hot chilli sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 large skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 200g dried medium or thin egg noodles
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 200g mangetout, halved lengthways
- 225g can water chestnuts, drained
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 8 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 level tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Thinly sliced red chillies, to serve (optional)
- Place the light soy sauce in a large bowl and stir in the hot chilli sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and five spice powder. Add the chicken and stir to coat in the dressing. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions and drain well.
- Spray a large wok or frying pan with low calorie cooking spray, add the chicken mixture and stir-fry over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add all the vegetables and stir-fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add the noodles, sweet chilli sauce and dark soy sauce and cook for a further 4 minutes until piping hot. Serve immediately with sliced red chillies on the side, if using.